Friday, June 22, 2007

ISU Offers Smith Chance at RB

(This article originally appeared at iowastate.rivals.com.)

When Iowa State's coaching staff says it's recruiting Erik Smith as a running back, it's what he wants to hear from every school that is seeking his services in the Class of '08.

Smith, a 5-foot-11, 185-pound prep star from Bolingbrook (Ill.), says the Cyclones are one of the few schools making no bones about their desire to have him play running back, and only running back.

"Some schools say they're going to try me at cornerback, which is fine," said Smith. "But my heart is really at running back, and I really like that Iowa State is telling me that's where they want me."

According to Smith, it isn't what the Cyclone coaching staff says but how the recruiting team, led by Tony Petersen, says it.

"They just all seem real genuine. Everyone there, Coach Petersen, everyone, they just really seem like genuine people. They send me text messages every day, they ask me all the time how I'm doing. Not everybody does that."

Smith, who boasts offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Wisconsin, Wyoming and Akron, along with a recently added one from Northern Illinois, admits that a decision is probably a long way off. Smith claims he will likely wait until signing day, but don't expect him to spend the next eight months idly waiting for offers.

"I already went to the Cincinnati camp," Smith said Friday. "I've got to get to Wisconsin before the end of the month, and Iowa State before the coaches go on vacation in July. I've also got to get to Boston to see Boston College. Yeah, I'm going to visit as many schools as possible."

No comments: